Mike brings almost 20 years of business trial practice to Klein & Wilson, handling and winning trials, arbitrations, and high-stakes disputes.
Mike attended Loyola Law School on a full academic scholarship, graduating second in his class of nearly 400 students. At Loyola, Mike received countless academic awards and served as an editor for the Loyola Law Review.
After graduating from law school, Mike clerked for the former Chief Judge of the Central District of California, Manuel L. Real, where he saw firsthand the importance of always being prepared before entering the courtroom. Following his clerkship, Mike developed his trial skills working at some of the finest law firms in Orange County.
Mike represents clients of all sizes in a wide variety of business cases, including shareholder, partnership and joint venture disputes, trade secret claims, fraud, breach of contract, business torts, real estate, and legal malpractice, malicious prosecution, RICO claims, and wrongful termination actions. A representative sample of his prior work includes:
- Mike successfully defended a local insurance brokerage firm in an arbitration brought by a large nationwide brokerage asserting claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of a covenant not to compete arising out of the sale of a business. Not only did Mike obtain a complete defense verdict, but also recovered a significant portion of his clients' attorneys' fees and costs.
- Mike successfully defended a local dietary supplement company in a breach of contract arbitration brought by the company's former Canadian distributor. Mike not only defeated the plaintiff's case, but got his client a 100 percent (100%) recovery on its counterclaims.
- Mike won a jury trial in Orange County Superior Court for a national printing company in a breach of contract action. Mike tried the case single-handedly and obtained a judgment for 100 percent (100%) of the amount sought by his client.
- Mike represented a local company in a legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit against his client's former attorneys in a case involving a substantial conflict of interest. In representing his client, Mike defeated two demurrers, a motion to strike, two motions for summary judgment, and an anti-SLAPP motion to strike.
- Mike obtained summary judgment for the sellers of a home in Emerald Bay against a buyer asserting claims for fraud and breach of contract. Mike also recovered his clients' costs and attorneys' fees, and successfully handled the appeal of the summary judgment ruling.
- Mike represented a tenant in a breach of a commercial lease action. After prevailing on a demurrer in both the trial court and the appellate court, the case ultimately reached the California Supreme Court where Mike handled the oral argument for the defense.
- Mike argued and won the first case before the California New Motor Vehicle Board regarding recreation vehicle dealers.
Mike also spent a portion of his career in the client's chair, as he served as in-house litigation counsel for ACC Capital Holdings, the parent company for two large, nationwide mortgage lenders. During that time, Mike represented his client in consumer litigation, class actions, employment litigation, trade secret cases, and insurance coverage disputes. As in-house counsel, Mike managed nationwide litigation and worked daily with outside counsel to develop and implement cost-effective litigation strategies. Mike also reviewed and approved outside counsel bills and reported to senior management on significant litigation activities. In this role, Mike learned the importance of billing efficiencies and litigation results.
Mike currently serves as a co-chair of the Commercial and Business Litigation Committee, the largest committee in the American Bar Association's Section of Litigation. Mike serves as the Chair-Elect for the Orange County Bar Association's ("OCBA") Business Litigation Section. Mike will chair the section in 2019. Mike is also the former chair of the OCBA's Banking and Lending Section.
Outside of the office, Mike is a husband and father of two girls. Mike coached his daughters' T‑ball and soccer teams and led his girls' Adventure Princess Expedition. Mike is a die-hard Oakland Raiders fan, a stellar fantasy sports athlete, and recreational pickleball player.