Fumerton, Tara A.
Current Employment Position(s)
Tara Fumerton has a broad range of experience in complex civil litigation, intellectual property law, and corporate internal investigations. Tara has litigated cases in state and federal courts involving class actions, fraud, federal and state False Claims Acts, RICO, patent litigation, and nationwide federal cases consolidated by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (so-called "MDL" cases). For several years, she has represented pharmaceutical companies in lawsuits throughout the country brought by private and government plaintiffs dealing with Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance reimbursement. With respect to intellectual property law, her experience has primarily involved patent litigation involving semiconductors and semiconductor processing technologies. She also has represented a number of individual and corporate clients in internal and criminal investigations on a diverse range of topics. She has significant experience in managing complex discovery matters; taking, defending, and preparing witnesses for depositions; working with experts; and arguing motions before the court. In addition, she has drafted countless motions of all kinds in state and federal court, including mandamus petitions before the Texas Supreme Court.
Tara is a member of the Illinois Bar Association and The Chicago Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Business and Tort Litigation (USA)
- Abbott acquires Facet Biotech for $722 million , (2010)
- Abbott and other pharmaceutical manufacturers successfully defend against Texas state court action alleging Medicare fraud , (2009)
- Abbott and TAP Pharmaceutical defend against Average Wholesale Price (AWP) litigation , (2009)
- Epsilon/Westford Funds and affiliates defend against bankruptcy related claims , (2011)
- Insurance broker defends DOJ prosecution , (2009)
- Micron Technology resolves patent infringement suit over semiconductor packaging for DRAMs , (2009)
- Motorola and Freescale resolve patent suit with STMicroelectronics over 12 semiconductor patents , (2009)
- R.J. Reynolds seeks reduction in 2003 settlement payments , (2011)
- Stevens Transport obtained dismissal of suit alleging state-law tort claims , (2012)
- TAP Pharmaceutical successfully defends 19 Lupron® pricing actions in state and federal courts , (2009)
West Practice Categories
Bankruptcy Litigation, Class Actions, Complex Litigation, Federal Appellate Practice, Federal Claims Court, Federal Trial Practice, International Trade Litigation, Litigation & Appeals, Military & Veterans Appeals, Multidistrict Litigation, Patent Litigation, State Appellate Practice, State Trial Practice, Tax Litigation, US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, US Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa,
Honors: with Honors
- The University of Iowa,
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our West Legal Directory disclaimers. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.