Cerato, Lori J.
Lori J. Cerato, Esq., graduated cum laude from the University of Scranton with a Bachelor of Arts in English. She obtained her Juris Doctor from The Dickinson School of Law in 1993. Attorney Cerato completed a judicial clerkship with President Judge Ronald E. Vican and Senior Judge James R. Marsh, both of the Monroe County Court of Common Pleas. In 1995, she became an associate with O'Malley & Harris, P.C., an insurance defense litigation firm, practicing first from the firm's Wilkes-Barre office, and then becoming resident attorney at the Stroudsburg office.
In August of 2000, Attorney Cerato opened her own practice in Stroudsburg, PA. She concentrates her practice in the areas of elder law, real estate transactions, and civil litigation. Attorney Cerato is licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Insurance Department as a title insurance agent.
Attorney Cerato is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, and the Supreme Court of the United States of America. She is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the Monroe County Bar Association.
Since May 1999, Attorney Cerato has authored an article on Elder Law for the Pocono Record's Dignity section, which is published the first Wednesday of every month. She is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys.
In 2003, Attorney Cerato became a faculty member for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute providing instruction to attorneys on "How to Represent an Individual Entering a Nursing Home" in Philadelphia and Scranton, Pennsylvania.
She has also spoken before the following community groups on Elder Law Issues: American Association of University Women, Arrowhead Lakes Senior Group, Christ Episcopal Church family group, New Residents Club of the Poconos, Older Adult Learning Center of East Stroudsburg University, Pennsylvania State Education Association of Retired Teachers-Pocono Chapter, St. Luke's Church Family Group, and the Women's Club of Country Club of the Poconos, and the Pocono Parkinson Support Group and Chestnut Ridge Seniors. Attorney Cerato has lectured on elder law at Northampton Community College Center for Adult Learning. She also participates in an "End of Life Forum" with VNA Hospice of Monroe County presented at various times throughout the year.
Areas of Practice
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Guardianships & Conservatorships
- Living Wills
- Powers of Attorney and Appointment
- Medicare & Medicaid
- Title Insurance
- Probate & Estate Administration
West Practice Categories
Estate Planning, Elder Law, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Living Wills, Powers of Attorney and Appointment, Trusts, Wills, Medicare & Medicaid, Nursing Home, Probate & Estate Administration, Estate Administration, Real Estate Law, Residential Real Estate
- Pennsylvania, 1993
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1993
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Stroud Region Open Space & Recreation Commission, 2003 - 2006 (Stroudsburg Borough Council Appointee)
- Stroud Regional Open Space Planning Committee, 1999 - 2002 (Stroudsburg Borough Representative)
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (Member)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (Member)
- Monroe County Bar Association (Member)
- Executive Women's Golf Association, 1999 - Present
- American Association of University Women, 1998 - Present (Member)
- Monroe County Arts Council, 2000 - 2003 (Board Member/First Vice President)
Past Employment Positions
- President Judge Ronald E. Vican (Monroe County Court of Common Pleas, Stroudsburg, PA), Law Clerk, 1993 - 1995
- Senior Judge James R. Marsh (Monroe County Court of Common Pleas, Stroudsburg, PA), Law Clerk, 1994 - 1995
- O'Malley & Harris, P.C., Associate, 1995 - 2000
- Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University, Carlisle, Pennsylvania,
Honors: Appellate Moot Court Board
Honors: Recipient of Edward N. Polisher Award for Estate & Gift Taxation
- University of Scranton, Scranton, PA,
Honors: cum laude
Honors: Dean's List
- Licensed Title Insurance Agent by Commonwealth of PA Insurance Dept.
- Monthly Article on Elder Law since 1999, Pocono Record's Dignity section
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our West Legal Directory disclaimers. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.