Current Employment Position(s)
TIM FORD, former Speaker of the Mississippi House of Representatives, joined the firm in June of 2003.
Upon obtaining his law degree, Mr. Ford served as a law clerk for the Presiding Justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court and then as an assistant district attorney. He was elected to the Mississippi House of Representatives in 1980 and was elected Speaker of the House in 1988. He served as Speaker until his retirement in 2004. He is the first House Speaker in the nation to receive the William M. Bulger Excellence in State Legislation Leadership Award. This award is given annually to a leader who has made significant contributions to the performance, strengthening and operation of his or her legislative institution. He is former chairman of the Southern Legislative Conference and the National Speakers Conference. He also is Chairman Emeritus of State Legislative Leaders Foundation, a national organization made up of presiding officers. Mr. Ford maintains a close relationship with present and former House Speakers around the country.
Mr. Ford is general counsel to the Mississippi Home Corporation (MHC), the state's legislative created entity that addresses the state's housing needs. He also serves as issuer's counsel for MHC on all single-family and multi-family housing bond issues. Mr. Ford is general counsel to the Mississippi Business Finance Corporation (MBFC), the state's legislative created entity that provides economic development incentives and tax benefits to new and expanding businesses. He also serves as issuer's counsel on all bond issues of the MBFC. Mr. Ford is general counsel to the Mississippi Development Bank (MDB), the state's legislative created entity that helps local governments attract new and expanding businesses by issuing tax exempt bonds for infrastructure.
Mr. Ford is also general counsel to Momentum Mississippi, the economic development advisory committee made up of the state's top business executives appointed by the Governor and charged with developing suggested legislation to attract new and expanding business. This group was very successful in the recent legislative session. Mr. Ford is a government affairs consultant to numerous local and national firms before state executive and legislative bodies. He has a unique relationship with present and former state officials across the country.
Areas of Practice
- Governmental Relations
- Public Finance
- Mississippi, 1977
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1977
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- State Legislative Leaders Foundation (Chaiman Emeritus)
- National Speakers Conference, 1997 - Present (Chairman)
- National Conference of State Legislatures
- Southern Growth Policies Board (Vice Chairman)
- National Speakers Conference (Executive Committee)
Past Employment Positions
- Mississippi Supreme Court, Law Clerk, 1977 - 1978
- First Judicial District, Mississippi, Assistant District Attorney
- Mississippi Home Corporation (MHC), General Counsel
- Mississippi House of Representatives, Speaker, 1988 - 2004
- University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford, Mississippi,
- University of Mississippi, Mississippi,