De Muynck, Thomas
Current Employment Position(s)
Thomas De Muynck focuses on M&A transactions and joint ventures. He represents EU, U.S., and Japanese companies in corporate, commercial, and other matters in Europe and Japan. He has been with Jones Day since 1999 and has worked in the Firm's Brussels, Tokyo, and New York offices.
Having lived and worked in Japan for more than three years, Thomas has developed a particular focus on representing Japanese clients in cross-border transactional and compliance matters. He has been involved in projects for Toyota, including JVs in Europe and South America, and multiple EU acquisitions for Bridgestone Corporation and Sumitomo Bakelite. Other Japanese clients include Hino Motors, Konica-Minolta, Pioneer, and Zeon Corporation.
Major U.S. clients Thomas has represented on M&A and commercial matters include Diebold, Lubrizol, MasterCard, PepsiCo, The Riverside Company, Textron, and WL Ross & Co. He has advised EU clients such as BNP Paribas, Danone, and Total and Belgian companies including BASE, RHJI, and Van Hool.
Thomas is listed as a leading M&A lawyer in Chambers Global and The Legal 500.
Areas of Practice
- Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Antitrust Civil Investigations & Litigation
- Bridgestone sells 100% of the shares of Bridgestone’s Italian and Chinese steel cord manufacturing subsidiaries to Belgian-based NV Bekaert SA , (2010)
- EDS sells business unit of A.T. Kearney
- Hexagon acquires IONIC Software and IONIC Enterprise
- International Automotive Components acquires Stankiewicz and Gimotive , (2009)
- LNC obtained US$100 million judgment against Republic of Nicaragua
- PepsiCo acquires interest in Snack Ventures Europe for $750 million
- Platinum Equity acquires Owens Corning fiberglass plants , (2009)
- Procter & Gamble acquires Ambi Pur, the air care business of Sara Lee, for $470 million , (2009)
- RHJ International SA acquires Tafime SA
- Traxys obtains $550 million credit facility
West Practice Categories
Business Organizations, Franchising
- Brussels, Belgium
- New York
- Columbia Law School, New York, New York,
Honors: Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Catholic University of Leuven School of Law, Leuven, Belgium,
Honors: magna cum laude
- Gottingen University, Gottingen, Germany, 1997
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our West Legal Directory disclaimers. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.