Schiffman, Abraham, Kaufman & Ritter, P.C.
workThree University Plaza
P.O. Box 568
Previous Law Firm Name
- Schiffman, Berger & Kaufman, P.C., January 1, 1991
Law Firm Overview
Our law firm was established in 1930 in Bergen County, New Jersey. We have been providing the highest quality legal service to our clients for over 75 years. Our law firm has always been noted for its perfect integrity and for the high quality of services performed.
Today, we are a law firm composed of six partners, experienced associates and a support staff of between ten and fifteen legal assistants, secretaries and clerks. We are large enough to handle the most complex litigations, and in fact specialize in handling complex civil litigation matters. At the same time, we are small enough to provide you with personal, individualized service. You will never be lost in the shuffle. We take your problems to heart.
Approximately twenty-five years ago our law firm focused its direction on providing service in all practice areas of civil law and particularly to closely held, private corporations and business entities, and to their owners and managerial employees. In addition, we have maintained a strong focus in personal injury, product liability, professional negligence litigation and family law matters. Our goal is to provide the highest quality legal services to our clients at a fair and reasonable cost.
We are not a high volume law practice. We are low volume and high quality in our approach. We are selective with respect to the clients and the cases which we accept. When you become a client of our law firm, you become a part of our family. We have been here more than seventy-five years based upon a firm foundation and long term relationships with our clients. The long term has always been and will remain our focus into the next millennium.
In the modern age of legal practice, it is essential for attorneys to take a team approach, to bring diverse experience to each legal problem, and to have available the finest technology and staff. We live by that credo and we practice law efficiently and effectively by utilizing a team approach combined with the efficient use of modern technology. This allows us to provide the highest quality legal service at a fair and reasonable cost.
Our diverse practice includes all forms of civil litigation, corporate and shareholder/partnership disputes, environmental law and litigation, professional malpractice, personal injury, employment discrimination, corporate advice and transactions, franchise law, corporate real estate development and transactions, family law, and estate and trusts. (See our Practice Areas). We have always maintained a concentration in commercial and corporate transactions and highly sophisticated commercial and corporate litigation, together with personal injury, professional negligence/product liability litigation and family law. We have always been the law firm of choice for other lawyers and for many judges when their own personal interests have been at stake. Those who know and understand the quality of the services and the legal work which we perform have been quick to recognize the unique value which our staff of highly experienced attorneys can provide. We have been appointed by Judges to assist in the resolution of challenging cases involving unique solutions and issues, including the well known "Baby M" case, extremely complex probate matters, very difficult commercial dissolution matters and especially difficult guardianship litigations.
We are more than just a winning team, however. We are also a small, caring, concerned advisor to our long term clients and friends. We have been successful over the years because of the synergy which we have brought to the practice of law by combining expertise and quality representation with a small, caring, concerned environment. We look forward to serving your needs.
Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial
- Family Law
- Employment Law -- Employee
- Employment Law -- Employer
- Labor Law
- Personal Injury -- Defense
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Estate Planning & Litigation
- Real Estate Law
- Environmental Law
- Russo v. Borough of Carlstadt, 16 N.J. Tax 410 (N.J. Tax) (1997)
- Roth v. Rutherford Rent Bd., 239 N.J.Super. 378 (Law Div.) (1997)
- Van Winkle & Liggett v. G.B.R. Fabrics, Inc., 103 N.J. 335 (1986)
- Simmons v. General Motors Corp., Oldsmobile Division, 180 N.J. Super. 522 (App. Div.) (1981)
- New Jersey Dept. of Environmental Protection v. Koziol, 157 N.J. Super. 499 (App. Div.) (1978)
- Wilzig v. Sisselman, 182 N.J. Supe 519 (App. Div. ) (1982)
- Kauffman v. Mayor and Council of Borough of North Haledon, 229 N.J. Super 349 (Law Div.) (1988)
- State Dept. of Environmental Protection v. Koziol, 157 N.J. Super 499 (App. Div.) (1978)
- Airwick Industries, Inc. v. Carlstadt Sewerage Authority, 57 N.J. 107 (1970)
- Wong v. Mercado, 248 N.J. Super 215 (Law Div.) (1991)
- Marxe v. Marxe, 223 N.J. Super 247 (Ch. Div.) (1989)
- New Jersey Optometric Ass'n v. Hillman-Kohan Eyeglasses, Inc., 144 N.J. Super 411 (Ch.Div.) (1976)
- Riley v. Simmons, 839 F. Supp. 1113 (D.N.J. 1993) rev'd 45 F. 3d 764 (3d Cir 1995)
- Prudential Insurance Co. of America v. United States Gypsum, 711 F.Supp. 1255 (D.N.J. 1989)
- U.S. Golf Ass'n v. U.S. Amatuer Golf Ass'n, 690 S.Supp. 317 (D.N.J. 1989)
- Hartman v. Blinder, 687 F.Supp. 938 (D.N.J. 1987)
- State of Newyork v. SCA Services, Inc., 844 F. Supp. 926 (S.D.N.Y. 1994)
- In Re De Cicco of Montvale, Inc., 239 B.R. 475 (Bkrtcy, D.N.J. 1999)
- Mack Paramus Co. v. Mayor and Council, 201 N.J. Super 508 (App. Div.) (rev'd 103 N.J. 564 2000)
- Ricciardi v. Weber, 350 N.J. Super 453 (cert. denied 165 N.J. 138 2002)
- Brawer v. Brawer, 329 N.J. Supeer 273 (App. Div.) (cert. denied 165 N.J. 138 2000)
- Borra v. Borra, 333 N.J. Super 607 (Ch. Div) (2000)
- Blair v. Anik Liquors, 210 N.J. Super 636 (Law Div.) (1986)
- Matter of Baby M., 217 N.J. Super 313 (Ch. Div.) (rev'd 109 N.J. 396 (1998) 1987)
- Hartman v. Mt.Valley, 754 NYS2d31 (App. Div. 2nd Dept. 2003)
- Harris v. Harris, 235 N.J. Super 434 (Ch. Div.) (1989)
West Practice Categories
Alternative Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, Mediation, Antitrust & Trade Regulation, Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestitures, Banking & Finance Law, Business & Commercial Law, Contracts, Franchising, Secured Transactions, Business Organizations, Business Successions, Closely Held Businesses, Corporate Governance, Directors' & Officers' Liability, Dissolution, Formation & Business Planning, Joint Ventures, Limited Liability Companies, Non-profit & Tax-exempt Organizations, Partnerships, Civil Rights, Class Actions -- Plaintiff, Communications & Media Law, Constitutional Law, Construction Law, Construction Contracts, Construction Liens, Government Construction Contracts, Employment Law -- Employee, Affirmative Action -- Employee, Americans with Disabilities Act -- Employee, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) -- Employee, Employee Rights -- Employee, Employment Contracts -- Employee, Employment Discrimination -- Employee, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) -- Employee, Federal Employer's Liability Act (FELA) -- Employee, Municipal Employment -- Employee, Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA) -- Employee, Pensions, Benefits & Compensations -- Employee, Sexual Harassment -- Employee, Wage & Hour Laws -- Employee, Whistleblower -- Employee, Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act -- Employee, Wrongful Termination -- Employee, Employment Law -- Employer, Affirmative Action -- Employer, Americans with Disabilities Act -- Employer, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) -- Employer, Employee Rights -- Employer, Employment Contracts -- Employer, Employment Discrimination -- Employer, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) -- Employer, Federal Employer's Liability Act (FELA) -- Employer, Municipal Employment -- Employer, Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA) -- Employer, Pensions, Benefits & Compensations -- Employer, Sexual Harassment -- Employer, Wage & Hour Laws -- Employer, Whistleblower -- Employer, Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act -- Employer, Wrongful Termination -- Employer, Entertainment, Sports & Leisure Law, Environmental Law, Clean Air Practice, Cleanup & Superfund, Hazardous Waste, Permits, Regulatory Compliance & Auditing, Solid Waste, Water Pollution, Wetlands & Wild Lands, Estate Planning, Elder Law, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Living Wills, Powers of Attorney and Appointment, Trusts, Wills, Ethics & Professional Responsibility, Family Law, Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Childrens' Rights, Collaborative Law, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence & Neglect, Juvenile Law, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Government Contracts, Insurance Defense, International Law, Labor Law, Litigation & Appeals, Class Actions, Complex Litigation, Federal Trial Practice, State Trial Practice, Mergers & Acquisitions, Personal Injury -- Defense, Animal Bites -- Defense, Assault & Battery -- Defense, Aviation Accidents -- Defense, Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Defense, Premises Liability -- Defense, Property Damage -- Defense, Railroad Accidents -- Defense, Slip and Fall -- Defense, Wrongful Death -- Defense, Personal Injury -- Plaintiff, Animal Bites -- Plaintiff, Aviation Accidents -- Plaintiff, Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff, Premises Liability -- Plaintiff, Property Damage -- Plaintiff, Railroad Accidents -- Plaintiff, Slip and Fall -- Plaintiff, Wrongful Death -- Plaintiff, Probate & Estate Administration, Estate Administration, Products Liability Law, Alcoholic Beverages, Apparel, Asbestos, Chemicals & Cosmetics, Firearms, Food & Agricultural Products, Machinery & Tools, Medical Products & Devices, Motor Vehicle Defects, Pharmaceutical Products, Recreational Products, Tobacco, Professional Malpractice Law, Dental Malpractice, Legal Malpractice, Medical Malpractice, Other Professionals Malpractice, Railroad Worker Injury/FELA, Real Estate Law, Securities Law, Sexual Abuse -- Plaintiff, State, Local & Municipal Law, Land Use & Zoning, Taxation Law, Corporate Taxation, Estate & Gift Taxation, Toxic Torts, Pesticides, Radiation & Electromagnetic Energy, Toxic Mold, Transportation Law, Whistleblower/Qui Tam
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our West Legal Directory disclaimers. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.