Herman, Timothy J.
Tim Herman has been a trial lawyer in the Austin, Texas area for over thirty years. He has tried scores of cases to verdict in state and federal courts throughout Texas and other states. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of commercial disputes.
Mr. Herman was selected as the "Most Distinguished Lawyer" in Austin, Texas in 2006; one of the "Ten Best" among approximately 7,000 Austin lawyers by the Austin Business Journal; named as a "Best Lawyers in America" in 2005, 2006 and 2007; and as a Texas "Super Lawyer" by Texas Monthly magazine in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
He is a frequent lecturer in Legal Education seminars, specializing in civil trial matters, particularly jury selection, business torts and jury argument. Mr. Herman has tried oil and gas royalty, contract and lease cases; corporate liability of officers and directors; professional negligence; shareholder claims and disputes; real property contract and title claims; and a variety of additional commercial, fiduciary and business torts.
Mr. Herman recently represented Lance Armstrong in litigation in the United States and the United Kingdom. Recently he completed an arbitration proceeding seeking the recovery of a $5 million bonus for Mr. Armstrong. An award of $7.5 million was recovered in that matter. Herman has represented the Williams Cos. in numerous multi-million dollar oil and gas cases in Texas and Louisiana.
Mr. Herman has also participated in numerous pro bono and public service activities. He currently represents the NAACP and other plaintiffs in a lawsuit challenging the certification of certain electronic voting machines in Texas.
- Texas, 1971
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Bar Association (Natural Resources Litigation Committee)
- Austin Bar Association, Litigation Section (Board of Directors)
- American Trial Lawyers Assoc.
- Texas Trial Lawyers Assoc.
- Texas Bar Association, Public Law Section (Past Chairman)
- George W. Bush Presidential Campaign (Special Counsel)
- West Austin Youth Association (Former President and Board Member)
- Lakeside Retirement Activity Center (President and Board Member)
- Western Hills Little League (Coach)
- Steps of Faith Ranch for At Risk Adolescents, 1986 - 1994 (Board of Advisors)
- Kappa Sigma Educational Foundation, Inc. (President and Trustee)
- Austin Aquatic League (President)
- West Austin Basketball (Coach)
- Travis County Bar Association (Board of Directors, Litigation Section)
Honors and Awards
- “Most Distinguished Lawyer”, 2006 - Present
- “Best Lawyers in America”, 2005 - 2007
- “Super Lawyer” by Texas Monthly magazine, 2005 - Present
- Preeminent Lawyers, America
- Austin Business Journal, Best of the Bar
- “Ten Best” by the Austin Business Journal
Pro Bono Activities
- Foster Parent - Helping Hand Home
- Outstanding Pro Bono Contributions, Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas, 2001
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas,
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas,
- Judge Dismisses Claim Against Armstrong, The Associated Press, September, 2005
- Velo News - Amrstrong lawyer rejects ex-assistant's charges by Jim Vertuno, Associated Press Sports Writer
- The Legal Spin Cycle, The Dallas Morning News, January, 2005
- Don't Take Sides When Counseling Start-Ups (Co-Author with Herman Howry and Breen), Austin Lawyer, January, 2003
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our West Legal Directory disclaimers. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.