Kennedy, David J.
Current Employment Position(s)
Dave Kennedy had an illustrious career in Local Government Law and Public Finance. He passed away in 2009.
His understanding of the important role that local government has in the State of Minnesota and his deep and genuine interest in public law continues to permeate at Kennedy & Graven. His law practice philosophy that emphasized keeping clients informed through effective communication is a standard that we will continue to emulate.Dave earned a B.A. degree in English Literature from the University of Notre Dame, graduating cum laude in 1953, and an L.L.B. degree from the University of Minnesota, graduating in 1960. While in law school, he was a research assistant for the League of Minnesota Municipalities (now League of Minnesota Cities).
After graduating from Notre Dame, Dave served as a naval aviator and was a member of the Naval Reserve. From 1960 to 1967, he served as a staff attorney for the League of Minnesota Cities. Dave then served as the director of the Minnesota Office of Local and Urban Affairs (1967-1969), and as assistant senate counsel for the Minnesota State Senate (1969-1972).
Dave joined the firm of LeFevere, Lefler, Kennedy, O'Brien & Drawz in 1972 and later helped that firm's municipal law and public finance practices merge with Kennedy & Graven (then known as Holmes & Graven), whose co-founder, the late David Graven, was a renowned public lawyer and Minnesota political figure. Dave Kennedy served as City Attorney for the city of Crystal from 1974 to 1998 and served as City Attorney for the city of Sandstone from 1993 to 2006.
Areas of Practice
- Government Relations
- Administrative Law
- Local Government Law
- Public Finance
West Practice Categories
State, Local & Municipal Law, Land Use & Zoning, Municipal Corporations, Municipal Liability, State & Municipal Bonds & Financing, Banking & Finance Law, Election Campaign & Political Law, Legislative Practice, Public Law, Government Agencies & Programs, State & Local Agencies
- Minnesota, 1960
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- American Research Corporation's Law & Leading Attorneys Guidebook, 1994 - 1997
Classes and Seminars
- Adjunct Professor, Local Government Law, University of Minnesota, 1965 - 1967
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Political Science, Mankato State University, 1966
- Instructor, Local Government Law and Administration, University of Minnesota Extension, 1964 - 1965
- Presenter, Local Government Law, Various CLE Programs
Past Employment Positions
- LeFevere, Lefler, Kennedy, O'Brien & Drawz, Partner, 1972 - 1989
- Minnesota State Senate, Assistant Senate Counsel, 1969 - 1972
- Minnesota Office of Local and Urban Affairs, Director, 1967 - 1969
- League of Minnesota Cities, Staff Attorney, 1960 - 1967
- United States Navy, Naval Aviator, 1953 - 1972
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota,
Bachelor of Laws
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana,
Bachelor of Arts
Honors: cum laude
Major: English Literature
- Chapter 26, "Debt and Borrowing", Handbook for Minnesota Cities, 1997
- Various articles on local government and finance
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our West Legal Directory disclaimers. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.