Black, Sean A.
Current Employment Position(s)
Sole Practitioner, since 1996
Year Joined Organization: 1996
Sean A. Black is the principal of Black Law Offices, LLC. Black Law Offices is a trial practice firm handling a variety of litigation matters. The firm has handled a number of sophisticated legal representations involving estate litigation, real property disputes, police misconduct actions, injury actions, intentional tort cases, medical negligence and business dissolutions. The firm maintains a substantial involvement in criminal defense cases including DUI defense. The commitment to vigorous defense of DUI cases is bolstered by membership in the premier Georgia DUI defense group, the Georgia D.O.D.D. Network. This group is an exclusive statewide "think tank" of DUI defense professionals. Mr. Black serves as the list-server administrator of this group, overseeing the confidential communications of the group. The criminal defense practice includes federal criminal defense, federal appeals, and sentencing issues. Mr. Black is also available for retention on family law and estate law issues.
The office relies upon up-to-date computer technology to assist in controlling case flow, case organization, contact management, case mapping and brainstorming, and legal research. The office often assists other legal professionals in technical matters. The firm is often associated in complex matters by other attorneys.
Mr. Black was a National Merit Finalist and STAR Student from Stephens County High School in Toccoa, Georgia. He attended Mercer University in Macon, Georgia, on a University President's Scholarship and Georgia Governor's Scholarship. While there, he was active in a number of campus activities, and was appointed to serve as a member of the University Judicial Council and served as coordinator of the implementation of the Defender-Advocate Program. He attended Emory University School of Law in Atlanta, Georgia. He was selected as a team member of the Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Team during his first year. His legal studies included participation in the National Institute of Trial Advocacy training program.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Black returned to his home community of Toccoa, Georgia, where he and his wife have made their home.
Mr. Black has been very involved in community activities and has been an active participant and member in a variety of professional organizations. He has taken part in a variety of continuing legal education programs beyond the annual requirements.
He currently maintains two websites: www.blacklawoffices .com and www.duiguru.com.
Areas of Practice
- Litigation & Appeals
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- DUI Defense
- Family Law
- Business Organizations
- The firm typically represents individuals and small businesses.
- Liberty Bank & Trust, Toccoa, Georgia
- In Re: Timothy P. Healy, 1999 WL 1095499 (Ga.App.) (Georgia Court of Appeals 1999)
- Phillips vs. State, No. A99A1903. (Georgia Court of Appeals 2000)
West Practice Categories
Litigation & Appeals, Criminal Law, Personal Injury -- Plaintiff, DUI/DWI, Family Law, Business Organizations, Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff, Parole & Probation, Police Misconduct, Divorce
- Georgia, 1992
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1992
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1997
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Georgia D.O.D.D. Network, 1998 - Present (Member)
- Toccoa-Stephens County Chamber of Commerce, 1996 - Present (Member)
- American Bar Association, 1992 - Present (Member)
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, 1992 - Present (Member)
- State Bar of Georgia, 1992 - Present (Member)
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, 1992 - Present (Supporting Member)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1998 - Present (Member)
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1998 - Present (Member)
- Association of Federal Defense Attorneys, 1998 - Present (Member)
- Federal Bar Association, 1999 - Present (Member)
- National College of DUI Defense, 1999 - Present (Regular Member)
Classes and Seminars
- Peoples' Law School, Georgia Civil Justice Foundation, 1992 - 1996
Pro Bono Activities
- Currahee Arts Council, Director, 1995 - Present
- Toccoa-Stephens County Community Theatre, Treasurer, 1996 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Comwell Law Offices, Attorney, 1992 - 1996
- Cathey & Strain, Law Clerk, 1990 - 1991
- Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia,
- Mercer University, Macon, Georgia,
- Phi Delta Theta
- Phi Delta Phi
- Regions Bank, Toccoa, Ga.
- Liberty Bank & Trust, Toccoa, Ga.
When viewing a listing, consider the state advertising restrictions to which lawyers and law firms must adhere, as well as our West Legal Directory disclaimers. Some lawyers publish comparative information regarding the services that they provide which may be subject to specific comparative communications restrictions.