Wendy Cole Lascher - Ventura, CA
Wendy Cole Lascher Overview
Wendy Lascher, a State Bar Certified Specialist in Appellate Law and AV-rated attorney, handles civil and criminal appeals in state and federal courts. She also assists trial lawyers with formulating strategy and crafting motions. Before joining FCOP, Wendy spent 37 years with Lascher & Lascher and has argued appeals in the U.S. Supreme Court, the California Supreme Court, the U.S. Seventh and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeals, all six districts of the California Court of Appeal and in U.S. District Courts.
Active in the appellate legal community, Wendy is a member and past president of the California Academy of Appellate Lawyers and currently serves as President Elect of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers. She has also served as chair of the State Bar's Committee on Appellate Courts, chair of the Appellate Law Advisory Commission of the Board of Legal Specialization and President of the Ventura County Bar Association.
In her spare time, Wendy teaches at the Ventura and Santa Barbara Colleges of Law, is a mentor in the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program and enjoys hiking, gardening and working out. Wendy has three sons and two granddaughters.
- Proctor v. California (1992) 4 Cal.4th 499; aff'd sub nom. Tuilaepa v. California (1994) 512 U.S. 967, 129 L.Ed.2d 750, 1994 U.S. LEXIS 5084, 114 S. Ct. 2630. Argued death penalty case to the United States Supreme Court.
- Caperton v. A. T. Massey Coal Co. (2009) U.S., 173 L.Ed.2d 1208, 129 S.Ct. 2252. Principal author of amicus curiae brief on behalf of American Academy of Appellate Lawyers.
- Alan v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (2007) 40 Cal.4th 894 (authored amicus brief for California Academy of Appellate Lawyers). Holds that time to appeal does not start to run until trial court serves a single document satisfying rules of court.
- In re Marriage of Pendleton and Fireman (2000) 24 Cal.4th 39; 5 P.3d 839. First California case to hold spouses may waive spousal support in a properly drafted prenuptial agreement.
- Morehart v. County of Santa Barbara (1994) 7 Cal.4th 725; 872 P.2d 143. Clarifies appealability of judgments on separately tried issues; upholds judgment invalidating zoning ordinance on preemption grounds.
- In re Corona (2008) 160 Cal.App.4th 315. Paroled sex offender could not be required to waive the psychotherapist-patient privilege as to his privately retained psychotherapist.
- Department of California Highway Patrol v. Superior Court (2008) 158 Cal.App.4th 726. Establishes that violations of Motorcycle Helmet Law are correctable citations, though not for the specific client before the court.
- Estate of Burden (2007) 146 Cal.App.4th 1021; 53 Cal.Rptr. 3d 390. Holds that father's statements during his lifetime about identity of his son meets test of "openly hold[ing] out" child as one's own for purposes of Probate Code §6453's definition of "natural parent."
- Airport Ranch Co. v. Beserra (2011, unpublished). Affirms injunction requiring removal of illegal rock groin and dirt berm from Santa Clara River.
- Issues and Appeals
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Current Employment Position(s)
- California, 1973
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1973
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1973
- U.S. Supreme Court
Specialties and Certifications
- Appellate Law, California Board of Legal Specialization
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers (President-Elect)
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers (Board Member)
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers (Member)
- American Inns of Court (Member)
- American Inns of Court (Former Board Member)
- California Academy of Appellate Lawyers (Member)
- California Academy of Appellate Lawyers (Past President)
- Ventura Center for Dispute Settlement (Founding Director)
- Ventura and Santa Barbara Colleges of Law (Member)
- Ventura and Santa Barbara Colleges of Law (Past President, Board of Trustees)
- Ventura County Bar Association (Past President)
- Ventura County Bar Association (Past Member, Executive Committee)
- Ventura County Bar Association (Past Chair, Judicial Evaluation Committee)
- Ventura County Community Foundation, 2001 - 2006 (Board Member)
- Ventura County General Hospital (Member, Institutional Review Committee)
- Ventura County Trial Lawyers, 2001 - 2002 (Board Member)
- 2005 National Conference on Appellate Justice (Member, Steering Committee)
- State Bar of California, 1994 - 1998 (Member, Appellate Law Advisory Commission)
- California Litigation, 1993 - 1996 (Editorial Board)
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan,
- Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA,
Honors: With Distinction
Major: Political Science
- Law Offices of Edward L. Lascher, Associate, 1973 - 1977
- State Bar Appellate Advisory Commission, Past Chair
- State Bar Appellate Advisory Commission, Member, 1973 - Present
Pro Bono Activities
- Mentor, Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Ventura County, 2008 - Present
- Member, Ventura County Hash House Harriers, 1992 - Present
- Member, Board of Directors, First National Bank of Ventura, 1992 - 2000
- Member, Board of Directors, Channel Counties Legal Services, 1993 - 1996
- Advisory Board Member, KCLU, 1996 - 1998
- Member, Planned Parenthood Ventura Advisory Council, 1990 - 1996
Classes and Seminars
- Lecturer, California Continuing Education of the Bar
- Lecturer, Hastings Litigation Advocacy Program
- Lecturer, Santa Barbara College of Law
- Lecturer, Ventura College of Law
- Arbitration after Burlage, Citations, March, 2010
- Panelist, The Complete Appeal Conference: Strategies from Start to Finish, Pincus Professional Education, 2009
- Speaker, Putting City of Hope v. Genentech in Context, Intellectual Property Section, Santa Barbara County Bar Association, 2008
- Staying Judgments on Appeal, California Litigation, 2008
- Speaker, Judgments and Statements of Decision, Ventura County Business Trial Lawyers, 2008
- Panelist, Winning Your Appeal at the Trial Court Level, Pincus Professional Education, 2007
- Panelist, 90 Days Between Judgment and Appeal, Pincus Professional Education, 2007
- Panelist, The Right Stuff for Appellate Lawyers: How to Avoid Going over the Ethical Edge, State Bar of California, October, 2006
- Speaker, Developments After Rojas, Ventura Center for Dispute Settlement, January, 2006
- Speaker, The Nuts and Bolts of Filing an Appeal, Kern County Bar Association, April, 2005
- Speaker, Appeals, What Every Young Lawyer Should Know, State Bar Conference, 2002
- "Super Lawyer", Los Angeles Magazine, 2007 - 2010
- "Top 100 Southern California Super Lawyers", Los Angeles Magazine, 2007 - 2008
- "Top 50 Women Southern California Super Lawyers", Los Angeles Magazine, 2007
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
1050 South Kimball Road
Ventura, CA 93004-2000
805-659-6800 (Ext. 209)
Babylonic Cuneiform and the Mysteries of the Writ, California Litigation, Vol. 16, No. 3
Hearing and Decision on Appeal, California Forms of Pleading and Practice, Matthew-Bender, Vol. 5, Ch. 51
- Proctor v. California, 4 Cal.4th 499 (1992)
- Tuilaepa v. California, 512 U.S. 967, 129 L.Ed.2d 750, 114 S. Ct. 2630 (U.S. LEXIS 5084, United States Supreme Court)
- Caperton v. A. T. Massey Coal Co., 173 L.Ed.2d 1208, 129 S.Ct. 2252 (2009)
- Alan v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc., 40 Cal.4th 894 (2007)
- In re Marriage of Pendleton and Fireman, 24 Cal.4th 39; 5 P.3d 839 (2000)
- Morehart v. County of Santa Barbara, 7 Cal.4th 725; 872 P.2d 143 (1994)
- In re Corona, 160 Cal.App.4th 315 (2008)
- Department of California Highway Patrol v. Superior Court, 158 Cal.App.4th 726 (2008)
- Estate of Burden, 146 Cal.App.4th 1021; 53 Cal.Rptr. 3d 390 (2007)
- Airport Ranch Co. v. Beserra , (2011)