Kenneth L. Shigley - Atlanta, GA
Kenneth L. Shigley Overview
Mr. Shigley's qualifications include:
- President–Elect, State Bar of Georgia.
- 30 plus years trial and litigation experience.
- Certified Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy.
- Author, Georgia Law of Torts: Trial Preparation and Practice (Thomson West, 2010).
- Board of Directors, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group, American Association for Justice.
- Speaker at trucking litigation seminars in San Francisco, Chicago, St. Louis, Vancouver, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Nashville, Amelia Island and Atlanta.
- Listed in Martindale's Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers.
- "Super Lawyer" (Atlanta Magazine).
- "Legal Elite" (Georgia Trend Magazine).
- "AV" (highest) rating in Martindale–Hubbell Law Directory.
- Trustee, Institute for Continuing Legal Education in Georgia.
- Former Chair, Southeastern Motor Carrier Liability Institute.
- Former Chair, Georgia Insurance Law Institute.
- Former Chair, Georgia Personal Injury Practice Seminar.
- Former Faculty, Emory University Law School Trial Techniques Program.
- Fellow, National College of Advocacy.
- Master, Lamar Inn of Court at Emory Law School
- Former Assistant District Attorney.
- Mediator at Miles Mediation.
- Education: Furman University (B.A.; Emory University School of Law (J.D.); Harvard Law School (Ultimate Trial Advocacy Institute); Harvard JFK School of Government (executive education course on financial management of non–profit organizations).
- Member: Christian Legal Society (since 1974), American Association or Justice, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Southern Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Shigley handles wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases arising from commercial trucking, automobile and bus accidents statewide in Georgia. He also serves as a mediator in civil cases.
Married 27 years, he is the father of two young adults. He is on the national advisory board of the Children's Tumor Foundation NF Endurance Team, and has served as a Boy Scout leader, youth soccer coach, church elder, Sunday School teacher, board chairman for a child development center, and board member of a Christian counseling center.
- Tried over 120 jury trials to verdict.
- Represented clients in litigation of civil cases in 30 of Georgia's judicial circuits, the United States District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia, the Southern District of Florida, state courts in Nevada and Alabama, the United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Certified Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- National Advisory Board, Association of Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum based on verdicts and settlements in excess of a million dollars.
- Master, Lamar Inn of Court, Emory University Law School
- Faculty, Emory University Law School Trial Techniques Program (1998-2008)
- Chair, Southeastern Motor Carrier Liability Institute (2005)
- Chair, Georgia Insurance Law Institute (1994)
- Chair, Georgia Personal Injury Practice Seminar (2003-07)
- Frequent speakers at national continuing legal education programs on trial practice and interstate trucking litigation
- Advocate, National College of Advocacy.
- Former Assistant District Attorney
- Former insurance defense lawyer
- Completed Ultimate Trial Advocacy Institute at Harvard Law School (1996).
- Member: Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, American Association or Justice, Southeastern Trial Lawyers Association
- Married, two children in college.
- National Advisory Board, Children's Tumor Foundation Marathon Team
- Church elder and teacher
- Former Boy Scout leader and YMCA youth soccer coach
- Wrongful Death
- Trucking Accidents
- Auto Collisions
- Serious Injury or Death
- 99% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Current Employment Position(s)
- Of Counsel
- Georgia, 1977
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1981
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
Specialties and Certifications
- Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1995
- State Bar of Georgia, 2008 - 2009 (Secretary)
- State Bar of Georgia, 2009 - 2010 (Treasurer-elect)
- State Bar of Georgia, 2007 (Executive Committee)
- State Bar of Georgia, 2000 - 2008 (Board of Governors)
- State Bar of Georgia, 2008 (Chair, Electronic Court Filing Committee)
- State Bar of Georgia, 2001 - 2003 (Chair, Member Benefits Committee)
- State Bar of Georgia, Tort & Insurance Practice Section, 1994 - 1995 (Chair)
- State Bar of Georgia (Disciplinary Rules & Procedures Committee)
- State Bar of Georgia (Executive Committee Liaison)
- State Bar of Georgia (Practice Management Committee)
- State Bar of Georgia (Fee Arbitration Committee)
- Georgia Courts Automation Commission, 2008 (Member)
- Trustee of Institute for Continuing Legal Education in Georgia
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association (Member)
- American Association or Justice (Member)
- Southeastern Trial Lawyers Association (Member)
- Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia,
- Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina,
Major: Political Science
- Van Gerpen, Shigley & Hoffman/Van Gerpen & Rice, Partner, 1981 - 1990
Classes and Seminars
- Trial Advocacy Program, Emory University Law School, 1998 - 2000
- Georgia Insurance Law Institute, Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1994 - 1999
- Mediation & Arbitration (Henning Mediation & Arbitration Service Law)
- Listed in Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, 1995 - Present
- Chair, Georgia Insurance Law Institute, 1994
- "AV" Rating in Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- "Super Lawyer", Atlanta Magazine
- "Legal Elite", Georgia Trend Magazine
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- 10.0 (Superb) Rating on Avvo.com
1360 Peachtree Street
One Midtown Plaza
Atlanta, GA 30309-3287
Offers Free Initial Consultation
Tort Claims Involving Minors in Georgia, 31 Georgia State Bar Journal II, October, 1994
Effective Use of Low Tech Visual Aids at Trial, 31: 5 For The Defense 12, 1989