Keith Hansbrough - Cleveland, OH
Keith Hansbrough Overview
Keith Hansbrough is a Shareholder who practices in the areas of nursing home / assisted living facility defense and employment defense on behalf of private employers. His most common areas of practice include matters arising under Ohio's Wrongful Death Statute, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Genetic Information Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, Ohio's anti-discrimination laws (Ohio Revised Code Chapter 4112) and the Ohio Whistleblower Act. Mr. Hansbrough also frequently defends political subdivisions and private contractors against claims of civil rights violations under 42 U.S.C. section 1983 in U.S. District Court. In his twelve years as an attorney, Mr. Hansbrough has successfully taken jury trials to verdict in both Ohio state court and U.S. District Court.
Mr. Hansbrough has successfully defended clients in U.S. District Court in matters involving allegations of trademark infringement and multi-district litigation. He also served as lead counsel in a collective action / class action matter under the Fair Labor Standards Act involving an Ohio employer with over seventy store locations throughout the state and the issue of overtime pay.
In the appellate arena, Mr. Hansbrough has successfully drafted appellate briefs and orally argued before the Ohio Eighth District Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit on multiple occasions. During his representation of private employers, Mr. Hansbrough has also successfully defended charges before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC). He frequently counsels private entities on various employment discrimination and retaliation issues, such as employee discipline and termination.
Mr. Hansbrough has published and frequently delivers presentations on the rapidly evolving issue of the discovery of electronically stored information under both Ohio state and federal law.
Mr. Hansbrough has been named an Ohio Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Employment Litigation Defense in Federal and State Court 40%
- Nursing/Assisted Living 40%
- Civil Rights Defense in Federal Court 20%
- Americans with Disabilities Act -- Employer
- Employee Rights -- Employer
- Employment Contracts -- Employer
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Discrimination -- Employer
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) -- Employer
- Federal Appellate Practice
- Federal Trial Practice
- Multidistrict Litigation
- State Appellate Practice
- State Trial Practice
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Supreme Court
- Wrongful Termination -- Employer
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Current Employment Position(s)
- Ohio, 2000
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 2001
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2001
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2001
- Defense Research Institute (Member Employment and Nursing/Assisted Living Committees )
- OACTA (Vice Chair of Employment Committee)
- Ohio State Bar Association, 2006 - Present (Member)
- Case Western Reserve University Law School, Cleveland, Ohio,
- Ohio University, Athens, Ohio,
Honors: cum laude
- City of Cleveland, Department of Law, Asst. Director of General Litigation, 2001 - 2006
Classes and Seminars
- Electronically stored information in Discovery : The Best or Worst Witness in your Case may be sitting on your Desk, Accredited Ohio CLE, 2010
- Evidence and Report Testimony Best Practices : Supporting your Loss, National Business Institute, Accredited Ohio CLE, 2010
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star - Labor and Employment, 2010 - 2012
1300 East 9th Street
Cleveland, OH 44114-1501
216-586-2013 (Ext. 2074)
877-214-7321 (Toll Free)
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The Litigation Hold Under Ohio's New Civil Rules for Discovery of Electronically Stored Information, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, 2009